Monday, December 7, 2009

Road Swag

I read a cool article in Bicycling about "Road Swag". Cool things you find in the road. And you find plenty of stuff as a roadie.

The other night I found an entire vintage toolbox, which I posted as found but yet remains unclaimed. Mostly crappy woodworking tools, but a couple decent crescent wrenches, cable cutters, etc. I now own a hydraulic car jack. Woo-hoo!

These are my usual favorites.

1. Shop towels. I recycle these, even the oily ones, so I don't have to look at them when I'm fishing in Long island sound. They wash down the street drains, then enter the CT river.

2. Duct tape and electrical tape. You have just had a good day when blessed with a whole roll of either of these.

3. Industrial sized, foot long zip-ties. I think the linemen use these on the utility poles. Doubles as handcuffs during massive riots. These are expensive as hell at Home Depot.

4. Any type of wrench, especially crescents. Especially Craftsman or better brands.

5. Multi- Tools. I found a Leatherman once, it's a cheesier one, but I still use it.


6. Gloves, especially polypropylene. You get double points if you find a full pair.

7. Beanies, Good ones are 19..99 new

8. Bandannas I have about 25 now.

Of course, all the stuff gets throroughly sterilized immediately upon re-entry.



Then there's free food. Pick some apples off a tree when you stop for a break. Road kill should be avoided, however.

The guy who wrote the Bicycling article admitted to scarfing a whole bottle of Gatorade he found unopened in the shade. I might consider that if the seal was still intact, and I was dying.

Sometimes you might find a bike by the curb, but then you have to figure out how to stash it for later retrieval, or shoulder it, or tow it home. This is not really "Road Swag" It's "Curb find"

I have never found guns, drugs, or money laden wallets, surprising, because I do pass through the city on the way to the country routes.

He also mentioned to keep your eyes open at hill crests (riders stop for breaks) and intersections, anywhere bikes stop and go.

This is another reason why I use cheap accessories on my "town/training" bikes, and wrap my wallet and cell phone in brightly colored bandannas, then put them in my waist pack. This draws wierd looks.

It's harder for them to sneak out the zippered opening, and fly out coming down a mountain. If They do fly out, they are then attached to a "flag" so I can spot them on the search.

1 comment:

JC said...

Cool! I'm always on the search for road swag. Near the end of one ride I found some rolling papers. Then just ahead, I found a ladies wallet. Everything was there but the cash. I had no use for any of it so I turned it all over to the first policeman I could find.