Saturday, October 30, 2010

Granby cowpie solo adventure

68 miles today, Through the cow country of various rural towns and a chunk of Mass.

Pics on the site.

I was stunned at how beautiful the scenery was on this route. The roads were perfection, and everyone I encountered was nice.

I have decided to make this a winter playground, There's enough open space to get some sunlight into your brain, as opposed to some of the mountain rides I've been doing , where you are tucked into the side of a mountain, where it's darker and colder.

But by the time I got done eating my soup and sandwich , It was 3:30 PM . The temp was starting to drop.

The Granville store gets a C+ for service. Yo!!! I asked for Rye bread , not white (but ate it anyway, I don't get picky when riding, just when i'm blogging) . The chili was decent, but they ran out of coffee. For sandwiches in rural places, The Riverton General store totally gets the velo-kudo award. I just feel like bitching about something.

Hey, I just rode farther than most people drive in a weekend, so there!

But they were your typical rickety old Country store couple, so I'm cool with that. Hell, they're still in business, I've seen so many close down lately.

Plus I think they're the only game in town so if you are freezing to death or freaking out, it's a welcome sight.

Wisely, I cut off a least segment of the route and went around Newgate instead, I didn't want to be on fast roads with pickup trucks on Halloween weekend.

Headline: "CT Cyclist killed by farmer tripping on acid".

The Congamond Lake area is pretty cool, but I bet it's insane in the summer. I do have a fondness for party lakes, though, with house boats and bass-boats. As a kid, some of the most fun I ever had was wailing around in a grumman john-boat with a 1957 Johnson 20 horse outboard, that always started on the first pull.

Lakes like that always have great bass fishing. Especially at night after the water-skiers go home, then the fish start feeding.

A great ride through stunning country. I've been meaning to connect more with this area, and this one did the trick.

Today's road-swag finds were great:
-Half roll of black Gorilla duct tape
- A perfectly ok Araya alloy 7ooc road wheel with a way-cool Edco sealed hub

No comments: