Monday, July 4, 2011

Igor: Ghetto cycling legend

I finally flagged down Igor again.
I met him two years ago, riding a decent Panasonic road frame with ape bars, cigar in mouth, on the sidewalk.

Turns out he is a Chernobyl survivor/refugee. He said he used to be a driving instructor in Russia. But then he had a brain aneurism. he has a huge horseshoe shaped scar on his bald head, and is missing most of his upper teeth.

We went to the basement of his old apartment bulding, where he gave me tons of bike parts, saddles, and jars full of precious bike bolts, nuts, fittings, stuff that has saved many bikes in the past. Itty Bitty parts that can take weeks to find in a search, he strips them at the curb .

"I was homeless for a while, I slept here" (pointing to the front of a wire caged storage space)

"But one night a fucking rat ran right up my leg, so I got out".

He was often seen riding against traffic. Remember, he was a driving instructor, so he knows everything.

"When these Americans buzz me in big giant SUV's I give them the finger. Fuck you!!! (waves hand dismissively

" I tried to grow a weed plant right here (points to doorway window) but the cops told me to get rid of."

"Oh man, when the Nuke plant blew, they came down my street, hosing everything down"

"I hate all Italians. They are suckers."

I ended up buying this man's bike. Forty bucks. No one else wanted it with the wierd Ape-bars, and the honker horn. I let him remove the water bottle cage.

Tange double butted Chromoly panasonic Sport 1000, left chainstay slightly bent but can be cold-set back easily. I plan on keeping this in my fleet.

Today is July 4th, and America is quiet, either everyone is at the beach or recovering from their hangovers. In a few minutes I will do a 50 miler. The weather is okay.

Some days when I think that times are hard here in CT, I think about guys like Igor.

I also think about the soldiers I have met recently at the VA hospital. Legs missing, facial burns, many are heavily medicated zombies, ready to blow at any second.

The fashion show in Blueback Square is at a lull today, but beautiful people are strutting around like peacocks eating ice cream and sipping lattes.

When you reminisce about bikes with Igor, however, his face changes and he looks like he's 8 years old.

Peace out, prayers to those in combat.

No comments: