Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Going back to manual drive

Last night, after attempting one last time to get the motorized mountain bike running, I decided to bag the project.

it's just too much. Ignition issue now.

Initially the thing was amazing, it flew, but required lots of mechanical skill to upkeep.

I got tired of smelling like gas and oil.

I got tired of the fact that these things are hard to start, especially in the cold, when the motors are older.

I got tired of people asking me questions like "OMG!!! coolest thing I've ever seen, where did you get it...blah blah blah..." No one bothers you on an old pig-iron Raleigh.

I'm giving it away to a redneck friend in MA. He'll give it to his new stepson.

The bike is an old favorite, has a zillion miles on it in the woods.

I'm kinda bummed that I messed up the frame a bit installing the motor. These old 80's Treks were built solid and stable.


The newer bikes are just too squirrelly to ride on the roads, this bike would have been a decent touring bike, I actually used it for that once. Maybe I'll find a duplicate frame on ebay or somewhere else and swap the components. Or just drive it completely into the ground.....

No comments: